Friday, April 30, 2021

Alice, I'm not listening...


So, a little thing about me...my office is my special place. My personal haven. I designed every little nook and cranny to inspire my creativity, and I think that it's a true reflection of who I am. A little dark academia, a little traditional, a dash of geek, and a smattering of weirdo with some French influences on the side.

I say all of that to share my newest treasure. A vintage head statue that I found in an antique shop last weekend. I can't tell you how many times I picked this up, and then put it back. I bought an antique desk lamp, a small brass figurine of a golden retriever (because you always have to have at least one brass figurine in my opinion). It wasn't until I was at the counter that I realized I had to pause my transaction and rush back to grab her. I wasn't even sure why until I got her home and sat her down on the book shelf above my desk. I mean, look at her eyes. She's kind of creepy, right? Like a gothic Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't until I sat down to write and found myself stuck that I realized why I like her so much.  My head was full of other thoughts. Things I need to do, things I want to do, worries over this or that...the sound of the television coming from the other room. All of it pulling me away from what I sat down to do. Write. So, like I often do, I paused. Fingers on the keyboard, eyeballs roaming the room in search of a creative bone to get me back to the process. Then, my eyes land on her. Alice, with her hands over her ears. "Don't listen." That's when it hit me. I stopped listening to all that inside and outside noise and began to write. 

Now I think I really like her. She's kind of creepy...like the outside noise.  Alice, I'm not listening. 

Back to writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment